Living to Serve
With one in six Americans experiencing food insecurity, FFA believes there is no one better to address the challenge of hunger than FFA members who are preparing to be leaders in providing food and fiber for our world. New York State FFA has organized several state-wide hunger service events including a food drive at state convention, summer camp at Oswegatchie Educational Center, and working in urban community gardens during the 2015 National Officer Tour at Capital Roots in Troy, NY.
The “Let us Eat” initiative at Cuba-Rushford Central School helps FFA members partner with elementary students to plant, harvest and donate well over a ton of produce to the Cuba Cultural Center in 2015. The project was funded largely by a National FFA Hunger Grant and partnerships with local organizations – it connected community members of all ages in the act of serving about 1,000 families in need in Allegany County. The project did more than simply donate food, it raised awareness of community needs and connected high schoolers with students in the elementary school. FFA members explained how to harvest and showed students how the squash had been planted. Fourth graders weighed and tallied produce, watching as the amount donated crept toward the goal the chapter had set. Without a doubt, the “Let us Eat” project showcases that FFA members are truly living to serve in any way possible.
Read the 2015 Food for All Impact Report.
SEE IT – Empower yourself with KNOWLEDGE!
- Research hunger in your community.
- Decide how your chapter, state or company can help.
SOLVE IT – Lead your team into ACTION!
- Create and carry out a service plan to fight hunger.
- Complete multiple projects before the 2016 National FFA Convention & Expo.
SHARE IT – Share your story to INSPIRE others!
- Report impacts below after each service event and be eligible for the following:
- Chapters- will be entered into a random drawing for $150 or 25 Hunger Heroes t-shirts during the month they submit!
- Alumni- will be entered into a random quarterly drawing for $200!
- States- may apply for a $1,000 rolling grant to host a one-time, state-wide hunger service project!
- Sponsors- will compete for a quarterly sponsor media highlight!
Help Us Reach 3.5 Million Meals in 2016
How do we calculate meals? Check out our Meal Math Calculator.